Department of Chemistry
Bulletin for Students:
- Check out exciting opportunities available through our unique BS/MS program
- Consider research opportunities in Chemistry
- NSF S-STEM Scholarship Opportunities - Deadline 1 May
ACS Idaho Local Section
The chemistry department at Idaho State University is an ACS accredited department consisting of eleven tenure track faculty, six non-tenure track teaching faculty, and four staff members. Our mission is to provide our students with the best possible education in chemical science through instruction in the classroom, teaching laboratory, and research laboratory. We provide a foundation in chemistry to students across health, science, and engineering programs in addition to offering several undergraduate and graduate degree options in chemistry:
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (accredited by the American Chemical Society)
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- Combined Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Chemistry
- Master of Science degree in Chemistry
Our majors are encouraged to enrich their education with practical experience by participating in hands-on undergraduate research, and engaging with each other and the community as members of the department's Chemistry Club. Our research programs are diverse, including organic synthesis using organosilanes as chiral templates, studies of the composition and chemical behavior of plasmas, preparation of materials and devices for energy applications, environmental monitoring, and application of chemometrics to characterize complex mixtures. Our faculty is active in their research and have published their findings.
The department occupies most of 3 floors of the Physical Science Complex, a 20-year old building that doesn't look half its age and is well-equipped with modern instrumentation.