Econ 4474 - Senior Seminar
Course Objectives and Assessment
This course is required for students majoring in economics. It emphasizes student learning based upon the following course goals and outcomes.
Objective 1: To become familiar with the peer-reviewed literature in economics.
- Students will be able to read, write about, and discuss economic peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Success of students writing summaries and then presenting peer-reviewed articles in class and/or using peer-reviewed literature in their papers.
Objective 2: To analyze economic issues.
- Students will be able to use economic knowledge and theory to critically and objectively analyze economic issues and topics.
- Students will rotate in serving as discussion leaders, as well as completing writing assignments on these readings.
- Students will also write papers and discuss various topics, including current economic events.
- Students reading and discussing assigned readings as well as successful completion of writing assignments and final exams.
Objective 3: To write a research paper.
- Students will write a research paper using economic theory to analyze a topic of the student's choice. Some papers are theoretical, but most papers use and interpret economic data.
- Successful completion of the students' research papers.