Josara Wallber – Audiologist
1. In 10 words or less…. What exactly do you do?
We assess hearing and balance functioning and provide rehabilitation when needed.
2. Why did you choose this health profession?
The quality of the work environment, para-medical working one-one with patients to improve qualitfy of their lives.
3. What do you find most rewarding about your health profession?
Seeing the faces of patients and families when they can communicate better.
4. Is there anything that you don't like about being an audiologist?
The lack of health insurance for many persons in need of care.
5. Does it require a lot of college to become an audiologist?
It requires 3 years in graduate school and 1 year at a paid clinical fellowship.
6. What was the best part of your college experience(s)?
The direct experience of working with patients throughout the graduate program and applying what I was learning everyday!
7. What are your responsibilities for any given day/week?
Test babies, children, and adults' programs on their hearing aides and cochlear implants as well as counsel famalies and write medical reports.
8. What has been your best day as an audiologist?
When a wife told me what I had done for her and her husband was "nothing short of a miracle."
9. What has been your most memorable case/patient as an audiologist?
When a baby who got two cochlear implants and when he was two he ran into my arms for a hug and when I knocked one of his implants off he put it back on himself so he could hear my voice.
10. What is the craziest case/illness that you have seen as an audiologist?
When a gentlmen who went deaf at 36 yrs old. He developed balance problems at 58 and we were able to go get him a cochlear imlant and now he can hear again after 22 years!
11. Is there any advice you would give someone thinking about becoming an audiologist?
You must like people, have patience and empathy, and like comptuers (because you can't work without one).
12. What can students do now to start preparing to enter into the Health Profession world?
Develop good interpersonal skills, study biological sciences, and use comptuer software.