Creative Writing Minor
A Creative Writing minor can add exciting balance to a major in the physical or the social sciences. Or perhaps English majors in the Literary track might like to experience literature from the other side — writing it as opposed to critiquing it. Many important poets and novelists hold full-time jobs in fields other than academics or professional writing, and so an economics major can also be a great poet.
A minor in Creative Writing can be an important beginning to your future as a great poet or novelist; ready you to write film, book, or game reviews; or kick start a creative writing portfolio for application to MFA programs.
Requirements for the minor:
The minor is a total of 18 credits.
Required courses (12 cr.)
- ENGL 2206 – Creative Writing Workshop (3 cr.)
- ENGL 3306 – Intermediate Creative Writing Workshop (3 cr.)
- ENGL 4406 – Advanced Creative Writing Workshop (3 cr.)
- ENGL 4494 – Senior Seminar in Creative Writing (3 cr.)
Plus ONE of the following (3 cr.)
- ENGL 2267 – Survey of British Literature I (3 cr.)
- ENGL 2277 – Survey of American Literature I (3 cr.)
- ENGL 2268 – Survey of British Literature II (3 cr.)
- ENGL 2278 – Survey of American Literature II (3 cr.)
Plus ONE elective English course (3 cr.)
Students who are interested in the minor are encouraged to meet with one of our Creative Writing faculty to map out a course of study that meets their interests and goals.
For additional information —
Department of English and Philosophy