Financial Aid

Aid Descriptions and Qualifications...Grants and Loans

Grants are considered "gifted aid" and therefore do not need to be repaid. It is intended to assist students who have not yet earned or met the requirements for a first bachelor's degree and who are attending school at least part time.

Federal PELL Grant

A Federal PELL Grant does not have to be repaid as a loan would. PELL Grants are only available for the first Bachelor's degree. You are considered to hold a Bachelor's degree when you have completed the requirements for the degree, even if the degree has not officially been awarded by the institution. Due to federal regulations, PELL grants are only available for the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters. PELL Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.

How is the "equivalent of six years" calculated?
Click on the following link:

How can I see my PELL Lifetime Eligibility Used percentage?
You can log on to National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) Student Access Web site using your FSA ID and view your Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU). The LEU will be found on the Financial Aid Review page.


Eligibility Requirements and Application Process for TEACH Grant at ISU

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

Federal SEOG is for undergraduate with exceptional financial need. PELL Grant recipients with the lowest EFC and all requested documents turned into the ISU Financial Aid Office will be the first to get FSEOGs. Just like PELL Grants, FSEOGs do not have to be paid back. This grant is funded by the federal government. At ISU, you may receive up to $600/year depending on your need and the availability of funds.

How do I qualify? The SEOG is intended to assist students who:

Special Non-Resident Fee Waivers (SNRW)

This is a state and university sponsored form of financial assistance which waives the out-of-state tuition for a limited number of students who are non-residents of the State of Idaho. You need to be aware the time accrued while receiving the Special Non-Resident Waiver will NOT contribute toward the length of time required for residency. Award is for the cost of out-of-state tuition.

Special Non-Resident Fee Waivers cannot be awarded to a student in an over-subscribed program which most health profession programs are considered over-subscribed.

How do I qualify? To be eligible for this program, a student must:

Work Study (WS)

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Employment under FWS must be reasonably available. The student is responsible for obtaining qualifying employment. Most students work 10-20 hours per week. Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour.

How do I qualify?


You will have to sign a promissory note, a binding legal document that lists the conditions under which you are borrowing and the terms under which you agree to repay your loan.

Federal Perkins Loan Program (PERK)- Discontinued

The federal government is discontinuing the Perkins Loan program. Any Perkins Loan whose first disbursement has not taken place by September 30, 2015, must be canceled. In order for the Perkins Loan to disburse, the student needs to take action immediately. If the student wants the loan, they must log into BengalWeb and accept the award, then they will need to sign a Perkins Promissory Note at

Federal Direct Student Loan Program (FDSLP)

This is a low interest loan to help you pay for educational expenses. The U.S. Government is the lender and sets the interest rate and fees. Loans are determined by your year of study, federal limits, financial need, and other types of aid awarded. There are two kinds of Direct Loans. Graduate student can only receive Unsubsidized loans.

For the Subsidized Loan (FDSL) the government pays the interest while you are in school for at least 6 credits. To be awarded this loan a student must:

For the Unsubsidized Loan (FDUL) interest will accrue while you are in school and is available to students who:

The loan proceeds are transmitted to ISU Financial Services Office and paid directly to the student's school account. Any balance remaining will be disbursed to the student from Student Financial Services at (208) 282-3000.

View these New Loan Disbursement Changes!!!

Two Loan Disbursements Are Required for All Federal Loans and a 30-Day Delay on First Disbursements for First-time, First-year Borrowers

Federal regulations require that all Direct Loans (subsidized, unsubsidized and PLUS) must be disbursed in two disbursements based on your enrollment period. The first disbursement for first-time, first-year borrowers will be 30 days after the beginning of the first semester enrolled at least half-time. For additional information see "Loan Disbursement Changes".

When a student leaves college or drops below half-time status (6 credits), they begin loan repayment after the one time six months grace period. Terms of Repeat Coursework apply for credit requirements. As of July 2012 interest begins accruing at the beginning of the grace period. Under some conditions, repayment may be deferred. Call your Loan Servicer for information. To determine who your loan servicer is see "Financial Aid Review" at:
National Student Loan Data System at

Are there any other fees for Federal Student Loans?

Loan Origination Fee is deducted from the gross amount of the loan that you accept.

Fall Semester Graduating Seniors... "Pro-rated" Loans

Federal regulations require student loans for undergraduates who will graduate at the end of fall semester be "pro-rated" for the fall term based on the number of credits enrolled.

Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are initially awarded based on full-time enrollment (12 or more credits).
Loan amounts must be adjusted to reflect actual enrollment if enrolled less than full-time.  Ideally, students should contact the ISU Financial Aid Office prior to disbursement to request a revision to their award if attending less than full-time.  If adjustments need to be made after disbursement, the student may incur a bill for the over award.

How much can I borrow?

Depending on your year of study, the federal government has limited the amount you can borrow. Your amount may very depending on financial need and other types of aid awarded. Loan amounts cannot exceed the annual or aggregate maximum. The federal loan limits are determined by the U.S. Congress and colleges have no authority to exceed these limits.

Annual Maximum...

The actual amount a student receives for an academic year may be less than the maximum annual amounts shown below.

Independent Student Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans
Dependent Student Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans
Graduate and Professional Student Unsubsidized Loans

Direct Loan Limits include subsidized and unsubsidized amounts borrowed in the same school year.
(See Aggregate Maximum)

Note: Dependent students whose parents cannot obtain a PLUS Loan, may also qualify for the following annual amounts through the Unsubsidized Direct Loan Program. See Parent PLUS below.

Aggregate Maximum (Effective July 1, 2008)

See Annual and Aggregate Loan Limits

How far will these loans take you?

Parent PLUS Loans

Parents of dependent undergraduates may receive a PLUS Loan for undergraduate students. PLUS Loan eligibility is not based on financial need, but approval is dependent on the parent's credit history. The loans are made regardless of income level and are offered through the Direct Loan program. PLUS Loans through the Direct Loan program have a fixed interest rate. This rate is set by the U.S. Government.

Repayment of Parent PLUS Loans begins on the date the loan is fully disbursed. The first payment is due within sixty days of that date.
How much can I borrow? Parents may borrow the entire cost of attendance minus any other financial aid the student receives.
How do parents apply? Parents must complete a Parent PLUS Loan Application and return it to the ISU Financial Aid Office.

PLUS Loans - Graduate or Professional Students

Graduate or professional students are now eligible to borrow under the PLUS Loan Program up to their cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance. The terms and conditions applicable to Parent PLUS Loans also apply to Graduate/Professional PLUS Loans. These requirements include a determination that the applicant does not have an adverse credit history, repayment beginning on the date of the last disbursement of the loan, and a fixed interest rate. Applicants for these loans are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). They also must have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program before applying for a Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan. Graduate/professional students will only be eligible for Unsubsidized student loans after July 1, 2012.

There has been no change in the aggregate maximum or annual award for graduates.

Note: Awarding for summer session financial aid is unique from fall and spring semesters.

For all forms of Federal Financial Aid the terms of Repeat Coursework apply to credit requirements.


921 South 8th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho, 83209