Financial Aid

Work-Study Questions & Procedures

What is the Work-Study (WS) Program?

Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student's course of study.

Work-Study eligibility will be included on a student's Financial Aid Award information on the "Finance" tab in BengalWeb. Students should be aware that additional eligibility may be available. If not originally awarded WS, students may be able to adjust existing awards in order to include WS. An award does not guarantee the student a job or that he/she will be able to earn the full amount of his/her eligibility.

Income earned through the WS Program is included in the Title IV Exclusion section of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This means that these funds will not be included in the formula used to compute a student's eligibility for Federal Financial Aid for the next year.

How much will I make?

Your WS salary will be at least the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. Your total WS award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school. You can only earn up to the total amount of your Work-Study award.

Are WS jobs on or off campus?

Both. If you work on campus, you will work for your school. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private, non-profit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. Whether on campus or off campus, the employer must have been qualified through our office by allocation and/or contract. Not just any job will qualify for Work-Study.

Will any job qualify for Work-Study?

No! The employer must be qualified through our office by allocation and/or contract agreement. The employer will usually be a private or public, non-profit organization or a school department.

How do I get a WS job?

It is the student's responsibility to obtain a WS position. See the Career Center for assistance in searching Bengal Jobs for openings.

Found a qualifying WS job? Now what?
How many credits must I maintain to keep WS?

To be eligible to receive WS funds a student must be enrolled at ISU at least half-time.

How will I be paid?

If you are an undergraduate student, you'll be paid by the hour. If you are a graduate student, you may be paid by the hour or you may receive a salary. No Work-Study student may be paid by commission or contract. You will be required to submit a time sheet on-line (on-campus participants) or submit a timecard (off-Campus participants) to ISU payroll which will pay you directly every other Friday. See Time Card Information for submission and payroll dates.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total Work-Study Award. When assigned work hours, your employer or Financial Aid Administrator will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.

Students may be paid on the WS Program for a maximum of 20 hour per week (a maximum of 40 hours per week during breaks.) Federal Regulations mandate students can NOT work more than 8 hours per day, or 40 hours per seven-day week. Overtime will NOT be paid through the WS Program account.

Are my WS funds exhausted?

Both the student and employer share the responsibility of monitoring WS earnings to ensure the WS Award limit is not exceeded. The student may also consult her/his employer or Financial Aid Office to obtain information regarding these earnings. When the student is within $200 of the maximum earnings limit, the employer may consider an alternative plan to cover the student's work assignment. At this time, the student may decide to meet with her/his financial aid counselor to discuss available options.

Can I get more WS funds?

Adjustment to WS allocations can be made if an applicant's financial need allows for an increase and funds are available to finance the increase.

The employer and employee should consider the time requirements of the student's WS job in relation to the student's pay rate and WS award for the entire academic year. If it appears that the award will be exhausted before the time required by the position elapses (and the employer has sufficient WS allocation to cover the increase) a request may be made to increase the the students WS award. Employers must consideration if their department's WS allocation will cover this increase in the student's WS award.

The student may request an increase in financial aid when she/he is close to earning the full award amount. Application for this increase can be made to the Financial Aid Office.

What about my unused WS award?

The student is awarded a maximum WS earnings limit based on financial need. She/he may earn any portion of the award up to the established maximum, but is not obligated to earn the full amount of the award. Unused work study earnings cannot be carried over from one employment period to the next academic year or to summer session. Unearned work study funds will not be made up by other sources of aid. (In certain cases, unearned WS may be transferred to a loan, if she/he has remaining loan eligibility for the school year. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.)

Time Cards?

For Time Card submission and payroll dates see Time Card Information.


921 South 8th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho, 83209