Posted March 10, 2008
The theme this year is “Give Our Students Roots and Wings.” The program will include a special presentation on Native Birds of Southeast Idaho, and the 2007-08 scholarship recipients will also be introduced. Bridge will follow the luncheon for those who are interested.
The luncheon is open to the public, both men and women. The cost is $13 and reservations should be made to the following: Linda Hill at email@example.com or 282-2663, Joan McCune at 233-8467 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Susan Ross at 282-3345 or email@example.com.
Raffle tickets are $2 and are available from any member of the ISU Women’s Club or by calling 282-2663 or 233-7294. Raffle items will include a beautiful pastel quilt hand-made by members of the ISU Women’s Club, gift certificates and gifts from local restaurants and businesses, tickets from the ISU Theatre and Dance Department and the ISU Civic-Symphony, veggie and fruit trays from Chartwells Dining Service, and cosmetology and culinary arts gift certificates from the College of Technology, just to name a few of the prizes. Winners need not be present to win.
All proceeds from the luncheon and the accompanying raffle go to the ISU Women’s Club scholarship program, which annually provides three scholarships to ISU students: a junior woman, a student in the College of Technology, and the child of an ISU employee.
The ISU Women’s Club has the distinction of being the oldest campus organization. The Club first supported scholarships in the 1940s and began sponsoring the luncheon in 1950. The scholarships are awarded in memory of Jayne Schubert, who came to Pocatello in 1947 when her husband, Mel, became a member of the speech and drama faculty of Idaho State College. At the time of the organization’s inception in 1924, Mrs. Charles R. Frazier (Alice), the wife of the president of Idaho Technical Institute (now ISU), felt that there was a need for the wives of faculty men to become better acquainted and function as a group to assist the administration with social events. The original name adopted by the group was the Faculty Wives’ Club and was later changed to the ISU Women’s Club in the late 1980’s.
For more information about the ISU Women’s Club or the Scholarship Luncheon, contact Linda Hill at (208) 282-2663.