Posted August 4, 2008
Idaho State University has announced the performance schedule for the 2008-2009 “A Season of Note” series, which will take place at the L.E. and Thelma E. Stephens Performing Arts Center on the ISU campus.
The schedule is as follows:
• Oct. 1 – Samarabalouf, an energetic and unique jazz trio from France, returns to ISU for the second time. Tickets are $24 main level, $20 upper level.
• Oct. 10 – Natalie MacMaster combines her refined fiddling talent and creative step-dancing to take Celtic music to new heights. She’s known for her astonishing live performances and has shared the stage with Santana, Paul Simon, Pavarotti, Faith Hill and Don Henley, as well as many other well known artists. Tickets are $29 main level, $25 upper level.
• Nov. 20 – Eric Bibb is an internationally known guitarist and singer, famous for his blues, gospel folk and New Orleans R&B roots music. He took home the “Best Newcomer” title in the British Blues Awards and was nominated for nine W.C. Handy Blues Music Awards. Tickets are $18 main level, $14 upper level.
• Dec. 17 – “A Kurt Bestor Christmas.” For the fourth year in a row this one-of-a-kind performer will give another mystical performance at ISU. Bestor fills his stage with musical talent that’s sure to bring magic to the Christmas season. Tickets are $36 main level, $32 upper level.
• Dec. 18 – “A Christmas Carol” – this long time theatrical favorite will be performed by the Nebraska Theatre Caravan. “A Christmas Carol” captures the warmth and joy of the season and is the perfect holiday gift. Tickets are $32 main level, $28 upper level.
• Jan. 9 – Scrap Arts Music uses instruments fashioned from industrial scrap and offbeat materials to create performances that excite the senses with intricate rhythms, raw energy, and athletic choreography. This quintet has entertained audiences on four continents and is sure to make their first performance at ISU unforgettable. Tickets are $32 main level, $28 upper level.
• Jan. 17 – Barrage, a fiddle playing multi-talented cast of performers, has entertained millions across the globe with an eclectic mix of music and dance. “Barrage is too Wow for Words,” according to the Denver Post. Tickets are $29 main level, $25 upper level.
• Feb. 14 – Roger Williams, ISU graduate and greatest selling pianist of all time with over 18 gold and platinum recordings to his credit, has performed around the world for four decades. Tickets are $36 main level, $25 upper level.
• March 3 – Bearfoot Bluegrass is an infusion of airy Northern ballads, Southern blues and jazz blended with an Appalachian tone to create the groups signature bluegrass sound. This young group has earned one of the roots music’s most prestigious awards, “Telluride Bluegrass Band Champions.” Tickets are $24 main level, $20 upper level.
• March 4 – Ailey II, one of the most popular dance companies in the country, is universally renowned for merging the country’s best young dance talent with the creative vision of today’s most outstanding choreographers. Tickets are $29 main level, $25 upper level.
Season tickets, with three different package options, can be purchased at the Stephens Performing Arts Center Box Office or online at www.isu.edu/tickets. “Package A” includes the full season, $260 main level, $225 upper level. “Package B” includes Samarabalouf, “A Christmas Carol,” Barrage, Roger Williams and Ailey II, $138 main level, $120 upper level. “Package C” includes Matalie MacMaster, Eric Bibb, Kurt Bestor, Scrap Arts Music and Bearfoot Bluegrass, $130 main level, $110 upper level.
For more information, call the Stephens Performing Arts Center Box Office at 282-3595.