Posted April 16, 2010
ISU Coming Events:
The Idaho State University Office of University Relations distributes this events calendar to let the media and public know about upcoming non-athletic events at the University. This information is intended for release in print and broadcast events calendars. Various events calendars with more complete information are available online at the Web site www.isu.edu/calendar. A copy of this release can also be accessed via ISU’s home page at www.isu.edu. Information about ISU athletic events is available at http://isubengals.cstv.com/. The area code for all phone numbers is 208 unless otherwise noted. The phone number for University Relations is 282-3620.
• Science Trek 2010: Idaho State University and the Idaho Museum of Natural History will present a night of scientific exploration with Science Trek 2010 on Friday, April 16, at 6 p.m. at the Museum on the Pocatello ISU campus. The scientific trek is an overnight, stay-at-the-museum experience for third through fifth graders. Pre-registration for Science Trek 2010 is required. Registration deadline is March 26. For additional information or questions contact Rebecca A. Thorne-Ferrel at 282-2195, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, April 16, and Saturday, April 17
• “The Threepenny Opera”: This performance will be at 7:30 p.m. in the Bistline Thrust Theatre in the Stephens Performing Arts Center. This musical is a joint production between the ISU departments of Theatre/Dance and Music. For ticket information, call 282-3595.
Saturday, April 17
• “Bengals Rock and Roll” 30th annual Bengal Foundation Auction: The Bengal Foundation will hold a public auction Saturday, April 17, at 5:30 p.m. at Phil Meador’s Courtesy Ford in Pocatello. A silent auction will begin at 5 p.m., with a public dinner served at 7 p.m., and the main auction event starts at 8 p.m. Dinner tickets for singles and groups up to 8-10 are available. Proceeds from the auction will benefit Student-athletic Scholarships at Idaho State University.
• Laserfest Demo Show: Idaho State University, ISU physics professor Steve Shropshire and the ISU Society of Physics students will present an evening of illuminating science demonstrations with “Laserfest” to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the invention of the laser, on Saturday, April 17, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., in Room 140 of the ISU Physical Science building. Interactive science games and a candy hunt social activity for children will take place from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. This public event is for all ages and is free of charge. The science demonstrations will occasionally produce noise startling for very young children. For more information call 282-2212.
• A Night in Mexico: The Idaho State University Hispanic Awareness Leadership Organization (HALO) will host “A Night in Mexico,” dinner and show on Saturday, April 17, at 6 p.m., in the Idaho State University Pond Student Union Ballroom. Ethnic foods will include beans and rice, tamales and carnitas. There will be a dance for guests from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. Tickets are $6 for students, $7 for faculty and staff, and $8 for the general public. For more information, contact Luis at email@example.com.
• Monster Truck Grand Nationals: Checkered Flag Productions will present Monster Truck Grand National on Saturday, April 17, at 7:30 p.m., in the Idaho State University Holt Arena. Tickets are $14 to $27, depending on seating. A family-of-four discount package is available. Ticket prices at the door will be $2 per ticket higher. For tickets contact the Holt Arena ticket office at 282-3267, or visit www.checkeredflagproductions.com, or visit Vickers Western Stores in Pocatello and Idaho Falls.
Wednesday, April 21
• Idaho Yesterdays Lecture: Western and historical writer Elliott West will present the lecture “The West Before Lewis and Clark: Three Lives,” on Wednesday, April 21, from 7:30 to 9 p.m., at Goranson Hall, in the Idaho State University Fine Arts Building. The lecture will focus on three explorers and their expeditions’ into the American West a century and a quarter before the Lewis and Clark Expedition. For more information call 282-2877.
Thursday, April 22, through Saturday, April 24
• Danson Concert: Celebrating 32 years of ISU Danson Student Organization, this group will showcase the original work by student choreographers at 7:30 p.m. in the Rogers Black Box Theatre in the Stephens Performing Arts Center. Call 282-3595 for ticket information.
Friday, April 23
• Take Back the Night Rally: This march beginning at 6:30 p.m. will go from the Bannock County Court House to the Idaho State University Hutchinson Quadrangle. It is sponsored in part by the Anderson Gender Resource Center at ISU to raise awareness and support for victims and survivors of sexual violence. For more information, phone 282-2805.
Saturday, April 24
• Rave On! The Buddy Holly Experience: This concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Jensen Grand Concert Hall in the Stephens Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $24 for lower level seating and $20 for upper level seating. To purchase tickets call the Stephens Performing Arts Center ticket office at 282-3595 or visit www.idahostatetickets.com.
• ISU Wind Ensemble and Concert Band Concert: This concert begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Jensen Grand Concert Hall in the Stephens Performing Arts Center. For ticket information call 282-3595.
Monday, April 26
• Idaho State University-Meridian Commencement: Commencement exercises begin at 6:30 p.m. at the Boise Centre, 850 W. Front St. Idaho Lt. Gov. Brad Little will deliver the commencement address. For more information, contact Chris Gabettas, ISU-Meridian Health Science Center, University Relations, 373-1806.
Friday, April 30 and May 1
• Idaho State Civic Symphony Concert: The 75th Anniversary Concert "A Gift to the Community" will be performed Friday, April 30, at 7:30 p.m. in the Jensen Grand Concert Hall in the Stephens Performing Arts Center. Visit www.thesymphony.us or call Sue Parker at 234-1587 for more information.
Friday, May 7
• Graduate Salute March through the Arch: From noon to 2 p.m. at Swanson Arch on the ISU Campus. President Vailas and the ISU Alumni Association will join the graduating class of 2010 for the Graduate Salute for traditional “March through the Arch,” then meet on lawn next to Frazier Hall for lunch. Call 282-5937 for more information.
Saturday, May 8
• Idaho State University Graduation Commencement Ceremony 2010: ISU will hold commencement ceremony for the graduating, ISU Class of 2010 on Saturday, May 8, at 10 a.m., in the Holt Arena. Call 282-4225 for more information.
Monday, May 10
• Idaho State University Summer Hours 2010: Idaho State University will begin its summer hours schedule on Monday, May 10. Summer hours will be 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The summer schedule is for all administrative offices and academic departments and will be effective through August 16.
Saturday, May 15
• Alpine Tower Challenge Course: The Idaho State University Cooperative Wilderness Handicapped Outdoor Group (CW HOG) will hold an open house at its Alpine Tower Challenge Course Saturday, May 15, from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. The Alpine Tower Challenge Course is a trust, confidence and strength-building course in teamwork for university, school, church, athletic, military, corporate groups, or any public and private groups of 8 to 30 participants. Participation is limited to a first come-first served basis. To register for the open house, contact CWHOG at 282-3912. Reservation requests and group assessment forms are also at www.isu.edu/outdoor/challenge.shtml, or send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.