Reading skills, speed reading programs to be offered in Pocatello by Idaho State University Division of Continuing Education
Posted April 11, 2012
The Idaho State University Division of Continuing Education and instructors from the Institute of Reading Development will offer summer reading skills and speed reading programs for pre-school children entering kindergarten through entering 12th graders, college students and adults beginning July 9 in Pocatello.
The classes cover phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, study skills, speed reading and love of reading.
Each session lasts approximately two hours. Programs will be offered based on age groups over the course of five weeks. The courses, and their dates and times, include:
• Program for 4-year-olds and entering kindergartners, July 14-Aug. 11, 10:30-11:45 a.m.: Your child will learn beginning phonics and reading readiness skills, build comprehension, and develop a love of books and reading. This program lays the foundation for a strong start in reading and school.
• Program for entering first graders, July 14-Aug. 11, 12:30–2:30 p.m.: In this program, students learn to read independently. Your child will learn phonics and sight words, build comprehension, and gain the skills and confidence needed for success in first grade.
• Program for entering second graders, July 14–Aug. 11, 3:15-5:15 p.m.: In this program, students become fluent independent readers. Your child will make significant gains in phonics and word-attack skills, fluency, and comprehension, and will develop confidence and a love of reading.
• Program for entering third graders, July 15–Aug. 12, 10 a.m.-noon: In this program, students become strong independent readers. Your child will develop the comprehension, fluency, and long-word decoding skills needed to read longer books with ease, and will build confidence and a love of reading.
• Program for entering fourth and fifth graders, July 15-Aug. 12, 12:30-2:45 p.m.: In this program, students make substantial gains in comprehension, long-word decoding skills, fluency, and reading speed. Your child will complete homework more quickly and easily, be more successful in school, and become a strong, enthusiastic reader.
• Program for entering sixth through eighth graders, July 15-Aug. 12, 3:30-6 p.m.: Students in this program make substantial gains in comprehension while doubling reading speed. They also learn the best way to read textbooks, take notes, and study for tests. As a result, students complete homework more quickly and easily, get better grades, and enjoy reading more.
• Program for entering ninth through 11th graders, July 9-Aug. 6, 4-6:30 p.m.: Students double reading speed, make substantial gains in comprehension, and learn study skills. The course is designed to be excellent preparation for the SAT, ACT, and college.
• Program for entering 12th graders, college students, and adults, July 9-Aug. 6, 7-9:30 p.m.: This program will transform participants reading skills. Participants will double their reading speed in difficult material and triple their reading speed in easier material, while improving comprehension, concentration, and recall. As a result, they’ll save a lot of time and get more out of everything they read.
Tuition and materials fees vary by program level. For more information or to register call 1-800-470-3728- Monday-Thursday 7 a.m.-8 p.m., Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m.-2 p.m. or visit http://www.isu.edu/ dce/reading/.