The student must apply, and meet all criteria for admission, to the Graduate School (http://isu.edu/graduate/). In addition the student must comply with the following departmental requirements:
- Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation at least two of which should be from individuals familiar with their academic work.
- Applicants should have at least 12 credits of previous coursework in history at the upper-division level.
Applicants planning to pursue the GIS track should have taken
GIS for Social Sciences, Principles of Geographic Information Systems,
or an equivalent class or present evidence that such a course in GIS will be completed prior to entering the Historical Resources Management program.
- Note: Students lacking this prior training may be admitted for the GIS track upon condition that they complete one of these GIS classes during that first semester.
- Applicants must submit, as part of their admissions application, a statement of interest in historical studies and personal goals that identifies which track the student wishes to pursue. Particular attention should be given to explaining how those interests and goals relate to a particular area of emphasis within the Historical Resources Management program.
- Applicants must receive the support of someone in the department willing to chair the applicant's graduate committee. Contact individual faculty members to discuss your goals prior to submitting the application.
All application materials for fall enrollment must arrive by March 31 of each year for priority consideration for funded teaching and research assistantships. Applications arriving after this date will still receive consideration for admission and/or funding.
Please note: there are two packets of application materials that must be submitted separately:
I. Required elements for application to the ISU Graduate School:
- Application for Admission to Graduate Studies at Idaho State University. All applications must be submitted online only, the link is found on the Graduate School webpage (http://isu.edu/graduate/). Non-U.S. applicants, please use the separate forms for international application.
- Application fee.
- Application for Non-Resident Tuition Waiver (optional).
- Scores from the applicant's Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Note: the Graduate School does not require GRE scores for applicants with above 3.5 gpa in the last 60 credits of prior coursework.
- Official transcript(s) documenting previous college coursework and degree(s).
- Students who have completed degrees in countries where English is not the first language must also submit official TOEFL scores.
Send Part I Application Materials to:
Idaho State University
921 S. 8th Ave., Stop 8075
Pocatello, ID 83209-8075
II. Required elements for application to the Department of History:
- Department of History Applicant Information Form
statement of interest
in historical studies and personal goals.
- A writing sample from previous academic coursework in history.
- Three letters of recommendation. Please send to each recommender a copy of the recommendation form, and consider the optional waiver at the bottom of that form.
Send Part II Application Materials directly to:
Department of History, Graduate Program
Idaho State University
921 S. 8th Ave., Stop 8079
Pocatello, ID 83209-8079
or electronically to: