Student Admission Criteria
While all of the expectations listed below are important, the Honors Admissions Council considers each applicant individually and comprehensively. Selection to the program is competitive and applications are considered as they are received. Since there are limited spaces available in our program, early application to ISU and the University Honors Program can significantly improve a student’s chances of admission.
The Admissions Council will consider applicants who do not meet the admissions criteria if there are remaining openings in the program on February 15, 2016. If you send in an application and then receive a better ACT or SAT score at a later date, you MUST contact the Honors Program in order for your application to be reconsidered.
- High school GPA of 3.6 or better
- Meet either the SAT or ACT Minimum listed below:
- SAT Minimum: 1130 Critical Reading and Math
- ACT Minimum: 25 composite
- Two letters of reference. These can be from a high school teacher, official, or non-related individual (Principal, Assistant Principal, Counselor, or someone who can speak to the applicant's academic abilities)
- Writing sample (preferably 3-5 pages; please supply teacher’s name, class, and date written)
- List of leadership experience and club involvement experience
- List of prior and/or current college coursework
Sophomores, Juniors, and Transfer Students
ISU students or transfer students with a 3.5+ GPA and over 26+ credits may apply to the honors program by submitting an application and a writing sample. They may participate in the first or second year options and then complete the upper division program. They must have completed the equivalent of ENGL 1101 with a grade of B or better. Transfer students may apply up to 9 credits of honors work from other institutions towards Honors Distinction, and up to 12 credits of honors work towards the Honors Degree. Sophomore, Junior, and Transfer students who are interested in the UHP should contact the UHP Director for advising related to thair academic status.
Last Modified: 06/29/2016