Honors Admissions Deferment Policy
The Idaho State University Honors Program (UHP) encourages high school seniors who may choose to delay their enrollment at ISU in order to perform voluntary service (church mission, U.S. military, or other government or non-profit agency) to apply during their senior year AND before the annual scholarship deadline of February 15.
- When applying for Honors Program admission, applicants should select the fall semester immediately following their high school graduation. (Example: Students graduating from high school in the Spring of 2016 would apply for the Fall 2016 semester.)
- Applicants who are offered admission into the UHP will be considered for academic scholarships if they apply before February 15.
- All other forms of financial aid require the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which must be submitted annually.
An admitted Honors student who decides to delay their enrollment at ISU may submit a one-time request to defer their Honors admission to a future semester that is up to six subsequent semesters (not including the summer semesters) after the semester they were offered Honors admission. (Example: A student admitted for the Fall 2016 semester could request a deferment up to and including the Fall 2019 semester. See the table below for additional semesters.) This deferment assumes that the student:
- will remain a first-time freshman upon enrollment
- will enroll at ISU as a first-time freshman upon return from their volunteer service, and
- will not enroll at another postsecondary institution prior to their enrollment at ISU.
The Honors Admission Deferment Request form must be submitted to the Honors Program by August 1 before the fall semester for which the student has been admitted. (Example: For students admitted for Fall 2016 semester, the form must be received by August 1, 2016.) See the table below for deadlines for additional semesters.
- The Honors deferment guarantees admission to ISU Honors Program but not necessarily admission to a particular academic major and/or program of study.
- If an admitted student is offered an Honors scholarship from the ISU Scholarship Office, the deferment will also reserve their scholarship offer until they enroll at ISU. ISU guarantees the terms of the scholarship (dollar value, duration, and renewal criteria) initially awarded to the student, provided that the scholarship program awarded to the student is still active and funded when the student returns to enroll. A new "acceptance" form for your honors scholarship will be sent out to you automatically one semester before you plan to return. Please be sure to return the updated acceptance form.
- If the scholarship program is modified or discontinued during the deferment period, the student will be evaluated for scholarship consideration based on the criteria of the new scholarship program.
- Deferral of scholarships awarded by other departments, agencies or organizations will need to be addressed directly with the appropriate department, agency or organization.
- If an admitted student is awarded financial aid and plans to defer their enrollment, the student must cancel their financial aid with ISU Financial Aid by calling 208.282.2756 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Students will need to reapply for financial aid for the semester in which they plan to enroll and meet the appropriate deadlines at that time.
It is the admitted student's responsibility to:
- Submit the Honors Admission Deferment Request form to the University Honors Program by the appropriate deadline.
- Update the Honors Program on any change of address or contact information prior to their volunteer departure.
- Adhere to ISU's Admission Deferment Policy in addition to the Honors Admission Deferment Policy.
- Return "required" acceptance forms to the Scholarship Office the semester before returning to ISU.
Admitted students who decide to pursue volunteer service after starting their enrollment at ISU and plan to return to ISU must work with their academic advisor and the staff in Financial Aid and/or Scholarships regarding the impact on their future enrollment.
This "Honors Admissions Deferment Request" is available for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. International student applicants should contact the International Programs Office. Information on the international applicant deferral request can be found at www.isu.edu/ipo/defer.
Semesters, Deferment and Deadlines:
|Session admitted:||Can defer admission until:||Deadline for ISU to receive Admissions Deferment Request form:|
|Fall 2016||Fall 2019||8/1/2016|
|Fall 2017||Fall 2020||8/1/2017|
Last Modified: 06/29/2016