Idaho Advanced General Dentistry Program
Idaho State University sponsors the Idaho Advanced General Dentistry Program, an Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency. The goal of the program includes increasing the knowledge and clinical skills of the general dentist beyond that achieved in the pre-doctoral education. Through an integrated multidisciplinary learning environment, residents are able to increase their competence in the application of modern standards of care and practice management.
This one-year residency focuses on providing comprehensive care in a variety of clinical settings, emphasizing rural, underserved, and at risk populations. Residents also receive training with patients who have emergency or episodic needs. A certificate is awarded upon the successful completion of the program.
The Idaho Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency operates from two clinical training sites, one in Pocatello and one in Meridian.
- State of the art facility new in 2000
- 5 operatories and 1 surgical suite
- digital radiographs
- ICAT: Cone Beam Technology
- Intra-oral cameras
- The majority of the patients are from southeast Idaho, but some patients travel from Utah and Wyoming.
- Patients pay according to a sliding fee scale based on household income and family size
- State-of-the-art facility that opened in 2011 with $1.5 million in funding from Delta Dental of Idaho Community Outreach and the Idaho Legislature.
- 12 clinical treatment rooms, including 2 surgical suites
- Videoconferencing capability
- X-ray and sterilization lab
- Most patients from southwest Idaho
Clinic schedule and Faculty Coverage:
- Clinics are usually open 4 days per week and patients are seen from 8:30 am – 12:30pm & 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
- During lunch, our faculty often give didactic lectures.
The typical number of clinic days per month specialists are available
- Oral surgeons – 1 day/month
- Endodontist – 1 day/month
- Periodontist – 2 days/month, more if case load demands
- Conscious sedation available – 7- 9 days/month
- General dentists for restorative and prosthetics – 11 days/month
- The Site Director or Program Director are usually available at some time daily for large cases and continuity of care
The Idaho Advanced General Dentistry program was reviewed in June 2001, 2008, 2015 and again in 2022. The program is fully accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.