International Programs Office

International Faculty & Scholars

ISU welcomes international visiting scholars and faculty coming to ISU from around the world for the purpose of receiving education, research or additional professional training in their academic fields. The added dimension of diverse backgrounds contributes to the academic success of our students and increases diversity on our campus and in our community.

ISU academic departments are involved in the invitation of each visiting scholar or professor. Scholars and departments identify a mutual interest in collaboration in a research or teaching area. The IPO advises departments and scholars on immigration regulations, issues visa documents, and provides information and guidance on a wide range of issues about the visiting international status and permanent residence at ISU.

Prospective visiting scholars or faculty should contact a specific department at ISU to discuss research interests and whether or not ther is a mutual interest in collaboration. If there is mutual interest, the department then contacts IPO to begin the visa process.

Visa Options

Departments wishing to invite prospective faculty or scholars should download the following fact sheets for help in determining which visa option is suitable for the candidate and situation.

J-1 Visa for Visiting Scholars

The J-1 Exchange Visitor visa may be used by those coming to the United States to study, teach, conduct research, or receive training. The purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program is to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences, and to encourage Americans to participate in educational and cultural programs in other countries. It does not require a one-to-one reciprocal exchange.

For more information on the J-1 visiting scholar visa, please visit our Prospective J-1 Scholars page.

H-1B Visa for Faculty

The H-1B is used to employ professionals temporarily in a “specialty occupation” for a maximum period of up to six years. “Specialty occupation” is defined as an occupation that “requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge to perform the occupation and requires the completion of a specific course of study culminating in a baccalaureate degree or higher in a specific occupational specialty.”

For more information on the H-1B visa, please download our H-1B Visa Fact Sheet.

ISU Departments wishing to sponsor someone for an H-1B visa, please visit our H-1B Process page.

Presentation: Immigration Essentials for Hiring and Retaining Foreign Faculty and Staff

David A.M. Ware of David Ware & Associates presented at ISU on October 10, 2013. You may download a copy of the presentation below.