International Programs Office

H-1B Faculty

The H-1B is used to employ professionals temporarily in a “specialty occupation” for a maximum period of up to six years.

Who is Eligible?

H-1B status is an appropriate classification for Idaho State University academic staff, with the following exceptions:

  • Visiting Scientists and Visiting Scholars are ineligible for H-1B status. Visiting scientists and scholars may be selected for participation in the Exchange Visitor Program. For more information on this program, go to our Visiting Scholar page.
  • Alien graduates of foreign medical schools who are coming to the United States to practice medicine, or undertake clinical training in a residency or fellowship, are ineligible for H-1B status unless certain conditions are met, including having passed all three steps of the USMLE. Idaho State University is not approved to accept J-1 Foreign Medical Graduates; therefore, we are unable to sponsor them as a visiting scholar.
  • Classified Staff
  • Research and Clinical Technologists may qualify for H-1B status if the position requires a bachelor’s degree or higher. As a general rule, the University will not support H-1B applications for other occupational classifications. The IPO may consider other requests for H-1B status on a case-by-case basis.

  • Professional Staff
  • The University does not support H-1B sponsorship of professional staff.

Learn more about the H-1B application process and other H-1B information in the left sidebar.