International Programs Office

Maintaining H-1B Status

You are responsible for understanding and complying with the terms of your H-1B status during your stay in the U.S. Below is the information you need to know in order to maintain H-1B status. Please consult with the IPO Faculty Advisor if you have any questions.

  • Keep your passport valid
  • Your passport should stay valid at least until the end of your current H-1B petition. To renew or replace your passport, contact your country's consulate in Washington, D.C.

  • Work only in the position for which your H-1B was approved
  • Your H-1B is both employer and job specific. You may only work for the employer listed on your I-797 approval notice.

  • Do not accept honoraria
  • If you give an occasional lecture at other institutions or conferences, you may not accept an honorarium or any other type of compesation except for reimbursement for travle and reasonable expenses.

  • Extend your status in a timely manner
  • If you are in need of an extension, please contact your department to begin the extension process. Begin this process six months prior to the expiration of your current petition.

  • Maintain a full-time appointment
  • Your employment at ISU must remain full-time while under ISU sponsorship. ISU does not provide H-1B visa sponsorship for part-time positions.

  • Report address changes to USCIS within 10 days of moving
  • Go to the USCIS website and complete the form AR-11 under the "Change Of Address " link.

  • Depart the U.S. in a timely manner
  • Your lawful status in the U.S. ends when your paid employment ends. If your employment ends before your I-797 Approval Notice expires, you must depart the U.S. immediately upon termination of employment.

  • File taxes
  • You are required to file a yearly tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

  • Dependents in H-4 status
  • Dependents accompanying you to the U.S. may enter as H-4 dependents. Dependents in H-4 status are not eligible for employment in the U.S. but they may study part-time or full-time.


  • If you notice any errors on your immigration documents
  • Before you or your dependents travel outside the U.S.
  • Before changes (promotion, change in responsibilities) in your position at ISU occur.
  • Before accepting a new position at ISU or at another institution
  • If you plan to leave ISU before the end date on your I-797 approval notice