Pocatello and the ISU campus are realatively safe compared to other universities and cities. However, there are precautions you can take to ensure your personal safety. The following tips can help keep you safe during your stay in Pocatello.
- Lock your doors at all times - even when at home.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Look like you know where you are.
- Keep an eye on your personal belongings. Do not leave laptops, wallets, purses and other personal items unattended.
- Take a cab when it is dark out or, when on campus, call Public Safety at 282-2515 for a safety escort. Public Safety personnel can escort you home free of charge if you feel the need.
- Avoid unpoputlated and poorly lit areas.
- If you feel like you are being followed or you feel threatened, do not hesitate to call Public Safetey at 282-2515 or, if you are off-campus, call 911.
- Always remember that you are more vulnurable and less cautious when drinking alcohol!
The above tips are not to scare you in any way. Pocatello really is a safe city as long as you excersice good judgement and follow the above recommendations.
For more information on what to do in case of emergencies, go to the Department of Public Safety Emergencies page.