International Programs Office


International student and scholars are required to abide by all taxation laws while in the U.S. You and your dependents, whether or not you have U.S. income, are responsible each year for submitting an annual income-tax statement to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The following information is not indtended to take the place of a professional tax advisor.

Sources of U.S. income may include on-campus employment, scholarships, fellowships, graduate assistanships, practical or academic training, and any compenstion received for labor.

Tax Treaties

Be sure to inquire about the applicability of any tax treaty that might exist between your country and the United States. For more information about the treaties, See IRS Publication 901, U.S. Tax Treaties at


You are responsible for helping your employer estimate how much of your income should be "withheld" or deducted from your wages for the purpose of paying taxes. Your employer pays those amounts directly to the U.S. Treasury on your behalf. You verify each year in your annual tax return that you paid the right amount over the course of the year. If you paid too much, you may claim a refund.


The following are tax-related form you should be familiar with:

Tax Workshop

The International Programs Office hosts a tax workshop every year in March. Please see our calendar for the dates of the event.

You may download the most recent tax workshop PowerPoint Presentation given by the Idaho State Tax Commision. Again, the International Programs Office does not offer tax advise and such advise should be obtained by a certified tax consultant!