Study Abroad Funding
Paying for Study Abroad
Financial planning should begin as soon as you embark on your research of abroad locations and programs. The funds/grants/loans you anticipate receiving should be carfully factored in. Read the program costs to determine what is included in the program fee. Be sure to add the cost of international airfare and any additional travel and meals (if you plan to travel during your program). Most students underestimate the costs of souvenirs and travel.
Scholarships for Study Abroad
There are many scholarships available to study abroad students. The deadlines are often very early so plan ahead!
- Benjamin A. Gilman Award (any major, any country, must be receiving a Pell Grant to be eligible)
- Boren Awards David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarship Program. Campus deadline - January 15
- Bridging Scholarship (for study abroad in Japan)
- DAAD (for study in Germany)
- Institute of International Education (has a number of resources for students)
- ISU Department of Foreign Languages
- Phi Kappa Phi (all countries )
- Rotary Scholarship
- TUSA Scholarship
Important note about federal financial aid: All students must be enrolled for, and complete, a minimum of 12 credits while studying abroad, especially if they are receiving federal financial aid. If you fail to complete at least 12 credits while you are studying abroad, you may be asked to return the federal aid received. If ISU is not reimbursed, you will be billed for these monies.
Some Helpful Links
http://www.studyabroadfunding.org -- scholarships for all countries available
http://www.macfdn.org -- The John and Catherine MacArthur Foundation
http://www.nsf.gov -- National Science Foundation
http://www.iie.org/nsep -- awards to study in unusual countries (no Western Europe, Australia, or New Z.)
http://www.cimo.fi-- Centre for International Mobility--research and study in Finland
http://www.amscan.org The American Scandinavian Foundation—Scandinavia
http://www.isep.org/students/Programs/financial_aid_scholarships.asp ISEP Scholarships (for ISEP students only!)