What you will need for Moodle
Let's Get Started
To be successful in Moodle there are some basic things that every student will need to get started. These things are:
- You need to be registered for the course at ISU. To register for classes go to BengalWeb or call the registrar office at 282-2661.
- You will also need to have your ISU email account. An email account is setup for all students during registration, for information about accessing your account please contact the IT Service Desk. They will be able to assist you with your ISU account username and password.
General Software Requirements, Viewers and Plugins
Program and Link
What is it?
||Mozilla Firefox Download
||Firefox is a web browser created by Mozilla and is open source. This browser is recommended because it is most compatible with the settings in Moodle.|
||Adobe Media Player
|| The Adobe media player is used to play flash video files that you have downloaded onto your computer.
||Adobe Reader Download
Adobe Flash Player Download
Java Microsystems Download
Other add-ons and plug-ins may conflict with Moodle. It is important, especially when taking a quiz, that other plug-ins and add-ons are turned off.
Adobe Reader is used to open PDF files.
Adobe Flash Player is used to open flash-formatted files (video files in Moodle). Click here to see if Flash is working
Java is recommended in general for opening files and images. Click here to see if Java is working
|Microsoft Office 2007 Viewers
||Word 2007 Viewer Download
Excel 2007 Viewer Download
PowerPoint 2007 Viewer Download
| 2007 Viewers are used to open documents created with the Microsoft Office 2007 programs (docx., xlsx., pptx.)
|Open Office Suite
||OpenOffice Suite Download
||OpenOffice can be used to create documents, powerpoints, and excel spreadsheets (doc., xls., ppt.) in lieu of Microsoft Office.|
ITRC recommends that students log on to Moodle using the latest version of Firefox. If you already have Firefox, you can check to see if you have the latest version of Firefox. To check, open Firefox, go to the Help menu, and select Check for Updates. Install the latest updates if necessary. Please go to Firefox Help for more information.
Older version of Firebox screenshot
If you don't have Firefox, open another browser (i.e. Netscape, Internet Explorer) and go to mozilla.com and click on the Download Firefox - Free link.
Open the file and install Firefox. Once installed, you should see a Firefox icon on the desktop.
Setting up the Pop-up Blocker
Firefox also needs to accepts pop-ups from Moodle. To enable pop-ups from Moodle, follow the steps below:
1. Open Firefox.
2. Go to the Tools menu and select Options.
3. Go to the Content menu.
5. Click on the first Exceptions button.
6. Were it says Address of web site, type in "*.isu.edu" (without the quotations) and click on the Allow button.
7. Click on the Close button.
8. Click on the OK button.
Please go to Firefox Help for more information.