Quizzes Taking and Tips
Finding and Taking Quizzes
Whether your instructors calls them exams, quizzes, tests, assessment, etc. they are all graded evaluations. Inside Moodle they are called quizzes and can be accessed either by clicking on the link in the topic area or by clicking Quizzes in the Activities block. Clicking on Quizzes in the Activities block will take you to a page listing all of the quizzes in the course. Please note that you can go to this page to see your grade for quizzes that you have completed.
To access a quiz, click on its name. You will be directed to a page displaying instructions provided by your instructor, the quiz open and close times, the quiz duration (if any), and a "Attempt Quiz" button. It is important to remember that if it is a timed quiz, clicking "Attempt Quiz" will start the timer and it cannot be stopped.
The quiz will open in a new screen. Take your time and answer the questions. Here are some important things to remember in taking quizzes in Moodle:
- To make sure that your answers are saved click the "Save Answer without Submitting" button at the bottom of the screen.
- Check to see if there are other pages of questions in the quiz. If there are other pages you will see them listed either at the top or bottom of the screen. The "Submit all and finish" button is available at the bottom of every screen so it is important to make sure that you do not submit the quiz before you have visited every page and answered the questions.
- After you have answered all of the questions, Click the "Submit all and finish" button.
- You must submit your quiz for it to be graded.
- If you run out of time while taking the quiz, it will be automatically submitted.
- When you click submit you will be asked if your are sure that you want to submit your quiz.
- Clicking "OK" will submit your answers and take you to a page where you can view your preliminary grade and your answers.
- Clicking "Cancel" will take you back to the quiz where you can continue answering questions.
- ***It is very important to remember that if the time for the quiz has ended, clicking "Cancel" will not allow you to answer more questions, instead your attempt will automatically submit and you will get a zero for your attempt. If the quiz time has ended (or is close to ending) make sure you submit your quiz and click "OK". ***
Quiz Taking Tips for Success
Before you take a quiz in Moodle there are some things that you should do. These include:
- Take the quiz in a computer of a screen resolution of at least 1280 x 1024 to avoid unnecessary scrolling (Resolutions higher than this are okay but avoid lower resolution screens).
- Make sure that your pop-up blocker is set up to allow pop-up windows from Moodle (http://elearning.isu.edu).
- Do not take the quiz on a wireless connection. Because wireless links can fluctuate in strength and connectivity, it is highly recommended that you use a wired connection when taking a quiz.
For more information please visit these sections of the ISU Student Guide to Moodle (Guide within Moodle):