Underwriting Script Guidelines (FCC)
Permissible Content of Announcements
Underwriting and general donor announcements MUST identify the donor by its legal or its recognized name of operation, but cannot promote the donor’s products or services. Script messages are used to identify the sponsor, not promote them. The announcements may include the following information:
- The name of the organization.
- The purpose to which the donation was directed.
- Non-competitive descriptions of the product or service-line in which the donor is engaged, including visual descriptions of the product or service.
- The donor’s brand or trade names, including visual depictions of the same.
- The date of the donor’s founding or the number of years it has been in business.
- The donor’s telephone number.
- Non-promotional aural or visual logos (including audio slogans or jingles) which viewers or listeners would associate with the donor or its products or services.
- Statements of the donor’s institutional goals, so long as no promotional reference is made to the donor’s products or services.
- Any language explicitly urging patronage of particular goods, products, services or facilities. Comparative information. Inducements to buy, sell, rent or lease.
- Any explicit mention or comparison of the price, quality or quantity of goods, products, services or facilities. Qualitative information.
- Pricing information or indication of associated savings or value. Calls to action.
- Any logo that is not routinely used by the underwriter in its business or that is overtly promotional in content or style.
- Any depiction of apparently satisfied customers of the donor.
- More than three trade names, products or service listings in a single announcement.Any form of misrepresentation.
- The words “you”, “your”, and “we”. Use of these words implies a relationship between the donor and the listener.
- Underwriting sponsor’s messages are not to use music enhancements.
NOTE: All scripts will receive final approval from KISU’s General Manager prior to airing.