Idaho State University Annual Report Fiscal Year 2008
In the limited space that follows, we offer some of the major highlights for the last fiscal year (2007-2008) for each of the University’s seven colleges and its Graduate School.
Our health mission continues to expand and we look forward to the opening of the ISU-Meridian Health Science Center this fall, just shortly after our School of Nursing expanded its facilities in Pocatello.
The scope of our research continues to expand, as researchers explore everything from how to create medical isotopes at the Idaho Accelerator Center to how to create ethanol from agricultural waste. These are two examples of the wide array of research endeavors taking place and the type of scholarship in which Idaho State University is engaged.
Following are highlights of the significant accomplishments of the past year, and a glimpse of things to come.
College of Arts and Sciences
The Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program was ranked No. 1 out of 207 doctoral training programs in the United States and Canada, based upon Examination for Professional Psychology test scores as published in Psychological Report in 2008.
Several departments are recipients, in collaboration with other universities, of the $15 million National Science Foundation EPSCoR grant “Water Resources in a Changing Climate”.
The Department of Mass Communication is in the final stages of a $2.3 million project that has renovated some of its facilities with state-of-the-art equipment and incorporated KISU-TV into the department.
The nanotechnology developed by chemistry professors Josh Pak and Rene Rodriguez was nominated for the United States Top 100 Research and Development Discoveries of 2008. The duo received a $1.3 million award from Precision Nanoparticles to complete their research.
The Department of English changed its Doctor of Arts degree to a Doctor of Philosophy degree and immediately began promoting the new degree program.
College of Business
With enrollment increasing among undergraduates and in the MBA program, the college has initiated a number of regional, national and international outreach efforts.
The college’s Center for Business Services has established an E-center in partnership with BYU–Idaho and the Bannock Development Corporation. The pilot semester of spring 2009 saw four teams working on projects for the Idaho National Laboratory, Premier Technologies, Precision Nanoparticles and the Regional Workforce Innovation Team.
Partnerships were established with international organizations, including Universidad ORT of Montevideo, Uruguay; the Korean Information Security Agency; University of Pretoria, South Africa; and King Saud University, Saudi Arabia.
A new major – Health Care Information Systems Management – is in place in partnership with the Kasiska College of Health Professions.
The National Science Foundation renewed a $1.6 million grant for the college’s “Scholarships for Service” program, thus ensuring the college remains a “Center for Excellence” in information assurance and a strong attraction for prospective MBA students.
College of Education
The College of Education celebrated a 115-year tradition of preparing professional educators as it marked 50 years as an established college in September 2008. More than 200 alumni and friends celebrated events on the theme, “Connecting Our Past and Preparing for Our Future.”
The College of Education has a long and rich history beginning in 1893 when the Rev. Charles Lyles voluntarily taught 23 students in a school built by local residents in Albion. The following year, the Idaho Legislature granted funding for Albion State Normal School, centered wholly on preparing teachers, and it opened its doors on Sept. 11, 1894.
In 1951, the Idaho Legislature closed Albion and transferred its teacher education program to ISU. The State Board of Education established the College of Education in 1958.
The College of Education has more than 12,000 alumni and during September 2008 the College successfully renewed its accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
College of Engineering
The Center for Advanced Energy Studies (CAES) facility was opened for occupancy in September.
The newly formed Department of Nuclear Engineering hired its first chair, George Imel, who has more than 30 years’ experience in reactor physics and came to ISU directly from the Cadarache Laboratory of the French Atomic Energy Agency. The nuclear engineering department, in partnership with the physics department, was awarded two grants totaling $806,000. The grants will be used to fund graduate fellowships and to support the hire of a new faculty member with a joint appointment in the two departments.
The college initiated an educational collaboration agreement allowing for faculty and student exchange with S. R. Engineering College in Warangal, India.
Funded by Battelle Energy Alliance LLC, a multi-disciplinary team including investigators from civil and environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, the ISU biological sciences and INL demonstrated that single-chamber microbial fuel cells can be fueled by potato processing wastewaters.
Kasiska College of Health Professions
2008 marked the 40th year that Idaho State University has housed a college of health professions. Enrollment increased across the college’s 17 professional programs by 10 percent in 2008. Through a combination of state and federal funding, the renovation of the Nursing Building was completed on the Pocatello campus.
KCHP was awarded $9,709,356 in grant funding in 2007-08, including large grants to the Institute of Rural Health, the School of Nursing and the Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences.
Delta Dental Community Outreach made a $500,000 gift to KCHP to help fund the new advanced dental residency in Boise.
Two prestigious awards were conferred on KCHP programs in 2008. The Department of Counseling was honored by the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision with the Robert O. Frank Outstanding Counselor Education Program award. In addition, the Department of Family Medicine’s Family Medicine Center, received an Award of Excellence in Healthcare Quality presented by Qualis Health, Idaho’s designated Quality Improvement Organization.
College of Pharmacy
In August, the College celebrated 90 years of providing pharmaceutical education since its first leader, Eugene O. Leonard, was appointed director of the Division of Pharmacy in 1918. Today, the College is thriving, providing students with opportunities to earn the Doctor of Pharmacy degree through a traditional and nontraditional curriculum, as well as the Doctor of Philosophy and master’s degrees in pharmaceutical sciences.
The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education reaffirmed the College’s accreditation after reviewing the plans for an expansion of 20 students per year in the Pharm.D. program. The College now will offer the full four years of professional pharmacy education in Idaho’s Treasure Valley at the new L.S. Skaggs Pharmacy Complex at the ISU Health Sciences Meridian building. This expansion was made possible through a gift from The ALSAM Foundation.
Scholarship has increased substantially with Drs. Karl Madaras-Kelly and Dan Selvage receiving notifications of National Institutes of Health funding, an increase in externally-funded projects by others, and numerous national presentations and publications by faculty members in both departments.
College of Technology
In 2008 the Automotive Technology, Auto Collision Repair and Refinishing, Child Development and Associate Degree Registered Nurse programs completed accreditation processes.
The Associate Degree Registered Nurse (ADRN) and Practical Nursing program graduates achieved a 100-percent pass rate on the National Council Licensure Examinations for their professions. In addition, statistics released from the NCSBN showed the ISU ADRN program as the leading professional nursing program in Idaho and the nation, ranking No. 1 out of 1,599 programs.
The Information Technology Systems (ITS) program received a donation of approximately $1.6 million worth of data-networking equipment from Qwest.
Nov. 7 marked the official opening of the Energy Systems Technology and Education Center (ESTEC), a cooperative effort between the College of Technology, Idaho National Laboratory and Partners for Prosperity, which received more than $2.5 million of grant funding. ESTEC’s primary mission is to support the energy sector in offsetting the growing national shortage of energy systems technicians.
Graduate student applications have increased dramatically in the last couple of years, and graduate student enrollment overall is on the increase, to about 17 percent of the total academic student population, as compared to about 14 percent in previous years. The Graduate School graduates about 25 percent of the total academic students who graduate.
Since hiring a full-time promotion and recruitment staff member, the Graduate School has increased its concentrated promotion and recruitment efforts, especially in Idaho, Utah, Washington, Oregon and internationally, in Nepal.
The Graduate School is now producing an electronic newsletter distributed each semester. The Graduate Council has approved a large number of faculty for graduate faculty status, and has approved several notices of intent for new programs, which are now going through the external approval process. The Graduate Student Association, an ASISU-approved student organization, was organized in Spring 2007 and has been quite active since Fall 2007.