ISU Policies and Procedures ISU Home | A to Z Listing of Web Sites | Search
Home |

Part 3. Services, Functions and Facilities Use

Section V. Facilities Use

B. Facilities Use (Updated 8/04)

1. State Board of Education Policy

a. Consistent with higher education’s primary responsibilities of teaching, research, and public service, the University, under the governance of the State Board of Education (Board), has and will continue to provide facilities and services for educational purposes. Such services and facilities, when provided, should be related to the mission of the University and not directly competitive with services and facilities reasonably available from the private sector. The University’s provision of services and facilities should be educationally related. In addition, the Board recognizes that the University has a role in assisting community and economic development in a manner that supports the activities of the private sector. To this end, cooperation with local, state and federal agencies is encouraged.

b. Priority and guidelines for use of University services and facilities is as follows:

(1) University sponsored programs and projects.

(2) Community programs or projects of an educational nature where the services or facilities provided by the University is directly related to the teaching, research, or service mission of the University.

(3) Local, state, or federally sponsored programs and projects.

c. The University, in compliance with Board policy, maintains a list of special events, services and facilities provided in those special events, the sponsor’s name, the date of the use, and the approximate number of persons attending. This list is available for public inspection. University policies should be adopted in accordance with this general philosophy and policy statement of the Board. To this end, a coordinated effort between the public and private sector is encouraged.

2. Statement of Purpose

An important objective of the University is to provide quality education by offering excellent educational facilities, and to provide an atmosphere conducive for research for faculty, students, and the community through social and cultural events, educational opportunities and meaningful extracurricular activities.

A state university has a responsibility to manage itself efficiently and to conduct and monitor its programs carefully. To achieve these ends University facilities shall not be used for personal gain. Programs and events should be educational in nature, not commercial. However, it is within University authority and purview to allow non-University related organizations to use University facilities and to conduct educational or public service events for the benefit of the University community or the larger community which the institution serves. It is the philosophy of the University that those organizations wishing to use University facilities for profit will generally be discouraged. Those organizations which wish to provide educational events and to provide a learning experience to the community will be encouraged.

The University is an integral part of the Pocatello and Southeast Idaho communities and therefore has an interest in offering these communities use of University facilities. As with any large organization, systems, policies, and procedures must be established to accomplish an even and orderly flow of information and responsibility for the use of University facilities by non-University related organizations. The policies addressed herein cover facilities costs, user responsibilities, scheduling priorities, deadlines, and University sponsorship versus non-sponsorship.

The University reserves the right to deny any program not in harmony with its role and mission, philosophy, policies or applicable State, Federal, and Local laws.

3. Definition of Terms

a. Major Event — Concerts, dances, conferences, lectures, and any large gathering.

b. Non-University Related Organizations — Organizations or institutions which are not comprised of University students, University staff members or University faculty and are not officially recognized by the University.

c. Facility — Any and all University property to include, but not limited to buildings, grounds, roads, walk-ways, lights, heat, air conditioning, electricity, and equipment.

d. University-Related Organizations — Any authorized and recognized student, staff or faculty of the University or legitimate programs, clubs or groups or departments, are recognized and provided for by policy of the University.

e. Facility Director — An authorized individual charged with the responsibility for scheduling of events and activities, and the approval/disapproval of same. This person sets policies and prices and negotiates on behalf of a particular facility recognized by the University through formal appointment by the President or his designee.

f. University Facility Coordinator — The person charged with maintaining the master calendar of events and dissemination of such information; recommending the approval/disapproval of all activities, events and meetings scheduled for a particular facility; coordinating events so arrangements can be made with the departments or entities within the University which may serve the visiting organization; and signing contracts for leasing University facilities.

g. Scheduling and Events Services — Student Union Office operated by the University Facilities Coordinator which maintains/disperses the University Master Calendar (RCCP).

h. Auxiliary Enterprises — Functions of the University which utilize various non-academic physical facilities headed by a director or manager. These facilities have their own accounts, and the director usually is empowered to bind the facilities by contract. Included are such facilities as the Holt Arena, the Student Union, and student residence halls.

i. User/Licensee — An individual with the authority to contract with the University on behalf of his/her organization. This person is held responsible for the facility or facilities rented or used.

j. Sponsor — A non-University, or University- related individual or organization wishing to use a University facility. An individual may be a licensee if authorized by his/her organization.

k. Non-University Educational Event — Academic educational programs sponsored by a school district or a local accredited school recognized by the State Board of Education.

4. Conditions For Facility Use

a. Availability of University facilities.

Events will be scheduled on a space available basis according to the “Priority Scheduling Dates” set forth in this policy. Requests are not to conflict with the University’s existing or previously scheduled programs, activities or events. Closed week policies will be observed in the renting of all University facilities.

b. Compatibility with the University’s programs and/or objectives.

c. Equitable financial arrangements (rentals, sales, fee payment schedules).

d. Provision for liability insurance for personal injury/death, or property damage as required. If so determined, the organization requesting facilities must obtain such insurance before the event is scheduled and be able to show proof of insurance to either the facility director, if it is an auxiliary enterprise, or to the University Facility Coordinator for other facility requests. Examples of functions which require insurance are:

(1) Concerts

(2) Any type of race by bicycle or motorized vehicle

(3) Fairs

(4) Other events deemed by the Facility Coordinator or Facility Director to include hazardous activities.

e. Only those charges for University and educational events and costs directly attributable to the conduct of an event will be charged to University events and non-University educational events, i.e. projectionist wages, extensive setup and cleanup labor, light operator wages, stage manager wages, stage technician wages, ticket sales, piano tuning, expensive stage lighting, etc. The preceding items are examples and the list is not all inclusive. Educational events will be charged an hourly rate for the equipment and services they require. Every attempt will be made to keep the cost of educational events to a minimum.

5. Convention Use

Under the conditions outlined in the State Board of Education policy and as contained herein, the University facilities may be made available for conventions and large meetings. The University may accommodate a non-University group or organization by providing services such as housing, food service and meeting facilities.

Requests for convention facilities from groups which cannot be readily identified as educationally-oriented will be referred first to community organizations, such as the Chamber of Commerce Committee on Conventions. Upon request from such organizations, the University will cooperate within its limits and capabilities to provide University services to non-educational groups.

6. Procedures for Rallies or Demonstrations on Campus

Activities which are to be held outdoors or outside the confines of suitable buildings, shall be scheduled by contacting the Scheduling and Events Services located in the Pond Student Union Building.

In the event that music, either live or pre-recorded, is being played or performed, or other activites are involved which could interfere with the normal operation of the University, such activities may only be scheduled during the following times: Monday through Thursday, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Friday, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. and after 5:00 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays, and school holidays do not have time restrictions, however, city ordinances regarding noise and other disturbances apply on campus and will be enforced by city police. In the event that sound levels are not disruptive to the normal operation of the University, these hours for outdoor activities may be extended.

Commitment for space or facilities will be on a first come first served basis. Reservations shall be made at least 24 hours in advance of the event. In a situation where there is competition for space, each group may be limited to no more than one event or day per week.

Failure to abide by the conditions of this policy shall constitute a violation of the Student Code and immediate cancellation of the activity may result and the incident may be referred to the appropriate administrative officer or committee for additional University sanction.

In the case of infractions by individuals, the matter will be referred to the Associated Dean of Students, and in the case of organizations, the matter will be referred to the Committee on Student Organizations.

7. The Master Calendar

a. The Master Calendar is the official University listing of all events scheduled on Campus. This calendar is maintained and kept by Scheduling and Events Services, also referred to as the University Scheduling Office.

b. Master Calendar Procedures

(1) Facility directors are to forward all non-academic requests for use of facilities to the University Scheduling Office. The request will be reviewed for available space and conformity with University policies. If the space request meets the policy criteria, the facility director will be contacted for approval or denial of the request.

(2) Following approval, the event will be entered on the Master Calendar, and the appropriate contracts, etc., will be prepared. Copies will be sent to the facility director, the Financial Affairs Office, the renter, and the Security Office.

(3) A weekly scheduling report will be prepared from the information contained in the Master Calendar. This report will include a complete listing of events for the following week and any special events for the following month. Other major events may be noted. The scheduling report will be distributed to all facility directors, the Office of Public Affairs and Communications, the ASISU Program Board, University Deans, and the Pocatello Chamber of Commerce.

(4) Approved requests for use of a facility will be recorded on a Facility Rental Agreement. If the request is generated from an auxiliary enterprise facility, a copy of that contract shall be sent to the University Scheduling Office. If the request generates the utilization of another facility, the original standard University Rental Agreement must be attached for signature by the University Facility Coordinator or his/her designee before the event takes place.

(5) Whenever a large group of non-University related persons hold a gathering which requires the use of more than one facility, it is imperative that those facilities requested by the renting organization be coordinated as to space availability, standard charges, sleeping and eating arrangements. The University Facility Coordinator will call a meeting of those facility directors involved and the organization for discussion of schedules, requirements and cost. A standard University Rental Agreement will be signed by the renter and routed through the normal channels.

(6) An activity or event scheduled in a single facility may be contracted by the director of that facility. However, the facility director is required to file a Facility Request Form plus a copy of the Rental Agreement with the Facilities Use Coordinator.

8. Priority Scheduling Dates

In order to provide a timetable for specific priority scheduling the following dates have been established as cutoff dates. After each date the next priority may schedule events.

Priority I — Official University Dates — March 16-31 Official University dates should be recorded prior to March 31 of each year. Priority I dates include but are not limited to:

(1) Academic Dates

(a) Admission, University dates, registration

(b) Graduation

(c) Vacation and holidays

(2) President’s official functions (development, State Board of Ed., etc.)

(3) Orientation

Priority II — Major Campus Activities — April 1-15 Major campus activities should be recorded prior to April 15 of each year.

(1) Homecoming events

(2) Associated Students events

(3) Program Board events

(4) Resident Hall Association events

(5) All University functions — open events

(6) Fraternity and Sorority open rush

(7) Regional or State conferences

(8) Departmental Concerts & Theater Productions

Priority III — Other Campus Activities — April 16-30 Other campus activities should be recorded prior to April 30 for each year.

(1) Recognized campus organizations events

(2) Departmental and faculty events and meetings

(3) Continuing Education programs

(4) University-affiliated organizations (example: Bengal Foundation)

Priority IV — Educational Programs Sponsored by Community Organizations — May 1-15 Educational programs should be reserved prior to May 31 of each year.

(1) High School dances and banquets

(2) Civic clubs

(3) Professional organizations

Open Scheduling — After May 16 After May 16, priorities are no longer in effect and equal scheduling will be given to all parties.

a. Exceptions

Exceptions will be made to this policy when an organization sponsors a program that would involve multiple areas of the University community. Organizations will be accommodated and facilities reserved one to five years in advance to allow adequate planning time.

b. Classes

Neither credit nor non-credit classes are to be scheduled in the Student Union on a continuing basis, except for Student Union initiated classes.

9. Facilities Use Committee

The Facilities Use Committee consists of all facility directors, as listed in this manual. This committee will be chaired by the Facilities Use Coordinator and will meet on call by the chairperson or a majority of the members of the committee.

This committee is charged with the yearly updating of the Facilities Use Manual which consists of these policies and appendices.

10. Facility Directors and Their Responsibilities

a. Chairperson of the Physical Education Department

b. Director of the ASISU Holt Arena

c. Director of Athletics

d. Director of Residence Life

e. Chairperson of the Music Department

f. Director of Frazier Auditorium (Theatre ISU)

g. Director Pond Student Union

h. Dean of College of Arts & Sciences

i. Dean of College of Education

j. Dean of College of Business

k. Dean of College of Pharmacy

l. Dean of College of Technology

m. Associate Director of Registration or Assignee (Classroom Use)

n. Non-credit Developer, Continuing Education

11. University Departments & Organizations/Procedures and Policies For Reserving Facilities

a. Applicants needing multiple facilities must contact Scheduling and Events Services located in the Earl R. Pond Student Union. Scheduling and Events Services will coordinate the request for available space and the approval of each facility director.

b. Applicants needing a single facility must contact the facility director. Facility director will forward a copy of reservation to Scheduling and Events Services for inclusion on the Master Calendar.

c. Applicants for a single facility must submit requests seven (7) days in advance. For conferences, workshops, camps or large events; requests are required sixty (60) days in advance.

d. University facilities are often provided at no charge or at reduced rates to University departments and organizations. Upon approval of the request, applicants will be notified of any special charges resulting from the facility arrangement.

e. Applicants wishing food or refreshments must use the official University food service as the caterer. Scheduling and Events Services will assist applicants in catering arrangements.

f. Applicants for a single facility must give two (2) working days notice in the event of cancellation or attendance change. For conferences, workshops, camps or large events; six (6) working days notice is required.

12. Off-Campus Organizations/Procedures and Policies for Reserving Facilities

a. Applicants must contact Scheduling and Events Services located in the Earl R. Pond Student Union.

b. Applicants must submit requests to Scheduling and Events Services fifteen (15) days in advance. For conferences, workshops, camps or large events; requests must be submitted at least sixty (60) days in advance.

c. The University Facilities Coordinator will review the request for available space and conformity to University policy, and contact each facility director for his approval or denial of the request.

d. Upon approval of the request, applicants must sign the appropriate rental agreement and return to Scheduling and Events Services eight (8) days in advance. This agreement will include facility rental charges and charges resulting from the equipment/personnel required for the facility arrangement.

e. Applicants wishing food or refreshments must use the official University food service as the caterer. Scheduling and Events Services will assist applicants with catering arrangements.

f. Applicants must give two (2) working days notice to Scheduling and Events Services in the event of program cancellation or attendance change. For conferences, workshops, camps, or large events; changes must be submitted at least six (6) days in advance.

g. Applicants may secure educational services of University by contacting the Office of Continuing Education.

13. Facility Rate Schedules

The Scheduling and Events Services maintains a current schedule of all rates charged for University facilities.

14. Possession, Consumption, and Sale of Alcohol Beverages at University Facilities

a. Board Administrative Rules IDAPA 08.01.08 provides requirements relative to alcoholic beverages on campus grounds. Said rules generally prohibit the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages in areas open to and most commonly used by the general public on campus grounds. The rules authorize the Board to establish policies under which exceptions to the prohibition may be granted. The President of the University, or his or her designee, may grant a permit for possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages only as permitted by and in compliance with, this policy. The grant of any such permit shall be determined by the President or the President's designee only in compliance with this Policy and in accordance with the provisions set forth herein, and not as a matter of right to any other person or party. In doing so, the President must ensure that the decisions to allow possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages are consistent with the proper image and the mission of the University.

b. The University shall maintain a policy providing for a University Alcohol Beverage Permit process. For purposes of this policy, the term "alcoholic beverage" shall include any beverage containing alcoholic liquor as defined in Idaho Code Section 23-105. Waiver of the prohibition against possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages shall be evidenced by issuance of a written Alcohol Beverage Permit issued by the President of the University (or the President's designee), which may be issued only in response to a completed written application therefore. The Board staff has prepared and made available to the University the form for an Alcohol Beverage Permit and the form for an Application for Alcohol Beverage Permit, which are consistent with this Policy. Immediately upon issuance of an Alcohol Beverage Permit, a complete copy of the application and the permit shall be delivered to the Office of the State Board of Education, and Board staff shall disclose the issuance of the permit to the Board no later than the next Board meeting. An Alcohol Beverage Permit may only be issued to allow the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages on public use areas of the campus grounds provided that all of the following minimum conditions shall be met. The University may develop and apply additional, more restrictive, requirements for the issuance of an Alcohol Beverage Permit.

(1) An Alcohol Beverage Permit may be granted only for a specifically designated event (hereinafter "Permitted Event"). Each Permitted Event shall be defined by the activity planned, the area or location in which the activity will take place and the period of time during which the activity will take place. The activity planned for the Permitted Event must be consistent with the proper image and mission of the University. The area or location in which the activity will take place must be defined with particularity, and must encompass a restricted space or area suitable for properly controlling the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages. The time period for the activity must be a single contiguous time period for a separate defined occurrence (such as a dinner, a conference, a reception, a concert, a sporting competition and the like). An extended series of events or a continuous activity with no pre-determined conclusion shall not be a Permitted Event. The area or location of the Permitted Event, the restricted space or area therein for possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages and the applicable time periods for the Permitted Event must each be set forth in the Alcohol Beverage Permit and in the application therefore.

(2) The serving of alcoholic beverages must be part of a planned food and beverage program for the Permitted Event, rather than a program serving alcoholic beverages only. Food must be available at the Permitted Event. Consumption of alcoholic beverages and food cannot be the sole purpose of a Permitted Event.

(3) Non-alcoholic beverages must be as readily available as alcoholic beverages at the Permitted Event.

(4) A Permitted Event must be one requiring paid admission through purchase of a ticket or through payment of a registration fee, or one where admission is by written, personal invitation. Events generally open to participation by the public without admission charges or without written personal invitation shall not be eligible for an alcoholic beverage permit. Only persons who have purchased a ticket or paid a registration fee for attendance at a Permitted Event or persons who have received a written invitation to a Permitted Event will be authorized to possess and consume alcoholic beverages at the Permitted Event.

(5) Permitted Events, which are generally open to the public through purchase of a ticket (such as sporting events, concerts or other entertainment events), must set out a confined and defined area where alcoholic beverages may be possessed and consumed. For such events, the defined area where alcoholic beverages may be possessed and consumed shall be clearly marked as such, and shall be separated in a fashion that entry into the area and exit from the area can be controlled to ensure that only those authorized to enter the area do so and that no alcoholic beverages leave the area. Only those individuals lawfully attending the Permitted Event who are of lawful age to consume alcoholic beverages may be allowed into the defined area. For such events there shall be sufficient space outside of the area where alcoholic beverages may be possessed and consumed to accommodate the participating public who do not wish to be present where alcoholic beverages are being consumed.

(6) No student athletic events, (including without limitation NCAA, NIT, NAIA and intramural student athletic events) occurring in University owned, leased or operated facilities, or anywhere on campus grounds, shall be Permitted Events, nor shall a Permitted Event be allowed in conjunction with any such student athletic event.

(7) An Alcohol Beverage Permit for a Permitted Event to which attendance is limited to individuals who have received a personal written invitation, or to those who have registered to participate in a particular conference (for example, a reception, a dinner, an exclusive conference) may allow alcoholic beverages to be possessed and consumed throughout the area of the event, provided that the area of the event is fully enclosed, and provided further that the area of the event must be such that entry into the area and exit from the area can be controlled to ensure that only those authorized to enter the area do so and that no alcoholic beverages leave the area. Additionally, the area of the Permitted Event must not be open to access by the general public, or to access by persons other than those properly participating in the Permitted Event.

(8) Application for an Alcohol Beverage Permit must be made by the organizers of the event. Such organizers must comply with all applicable laws of the State of Idaho and the local jurisdiction with respect to all aspects of the event, including the possession sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Applications may be obtained from Chartwells Dining Service and the forms must be returned at least twenty-eight (28) days prior to the event.

(9) The Alcohol Beverage Permit, any required local catering permit, and applicable state or local alcoholic beverages permits shall be posted in a conspicuous place at the defined area where alcoholic beverages are authorized to be possessed and consumed.

(10) The sale, service and consumption of alcoholic beverages at a Permitted Event shall be confined to the specific event, area or activity identified on the Beverage Permit application. Any alcoholic beverages allowed at a Permitted Event shall be supplied through authorized contractors of the organizers (such as caterers hired by the organizers). In no event shall the University supply or sell alcoholic beverages directly. In no event shall the general public, or any participants in a Permitted Event be allowed to bring alcoholic beverages into a Permitted Event, or leave the defined area where possession and consumption is allowed while in possession of an alcoholic beverage.

(11) The person/group issued the Beverage Permit and the contractors supplying the alcoholic beverages shall assume full responsibility to ensure that no one under the legal drinking age is supplied with any alcoholic beverage or allowed to consume any alcoholic beverage at the Permitted Event. Further, the person/group must provide proof of insurance coverage, including host liquor liability and liquor legal liability, in amounts and coverage limits sufficient to meet the needs of the University, but in no case less than $500,000 minimum coverage per occurrence. Such insurance must list the permitted person/group, the contractor, the University, the State Board of Education and the State of Idaho as additional insureds, and the proof of insurance must be in the form a formal endorsement to the policy evidencing the coverage and the required additional insureds.

(12) The Alcohol Beverage Permit shall set forth the time at which sale, service, possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be permitted, which times shall be strictly enforced. Service and sale of alcoholic beverages shall stop at a time in advance of the time of closure of the event sufficient to allow an orderly and temperate
consumption of the balance of the alcoholic beverages then in possession of the participants of the event prior to closure of the event.

(13) These guidelines shall apply to both University and non-University groups using University facilities.

c. Within residential facilities owned, leased or operated by the University, the President or President's designee may allow the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age within the living quarters of persons of legal drinking age. Consumption of alcohol shall not be permitted in the general use areas of any such residence facility. Possession of alcohol within the general use areas of a residential facility may only be done in a facility where consumption has been authorized by the President or President's designee, and such possession shall be only as is incidental to, and reasonably necessary for, transporting the alcohol by the person of legal drinking age to living quarters where consumption is allowed. The term "living quarters" as used herein shall mean, and be limited to, the specific room or rooms of a residential facility which are assigned to students of the University (either individually or in conjunction with another room mate or room mates) as their individual living space.



[ Table of Contents ] [ Back to Part 3 ] [ Back to Part 3 Section V ] [ Previous Section ] [ Next Section ]