English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Tutoring and Workshops
In addition to credit courses (ENGL 1100 and AMST 1100), Student Success Center ESOL instructors offer non-native speakers of English enrolled at ISU the following help: one-on-one 60 minute tutoring appointments, workshops and excursions, International Teaching Assistant assessments and support, Accent Modification Evaluations (AME) in conjunction with ISU Department of Speech Pathology, and individualized self-improvement plans.
One-on-one 60 minute tutoring (call 208-282-3662 to make appointments):
- Receive feedback on all assignments and projects
- Practice oral presentations
- Refine pronunciation and develop skills for class discussions and interviews
- Improve your documentation skills for academic writing and speaking
- Strengthen your grammar and vocabulary for better writing and easier reading
- Develop an individualized self-improvement plan
- Take an Accent Modification Evaluation and follow-up for those who need professional level of spoken American English
- SPEAK assessment and follow-up for International Teaching Assistants
Workshops and Excursions:
- Orientation to Research and Library Data-base Use — Learn how to use the Oboler Library and its data-bases; email email@example.com for dates and times.
- Theatre Night Out — Attend dress rehearsal at Westside Players' Community Theatre at the Warehouse, 1009 South 2nd Ave.; transportation provided; to reserve your place, email firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours in advance.
- Keys to Avoiding Plagiarism in Academic Papers and Presentations — Learn why plagiarism is a serious offense, how to avoid it through summarizing, paraphrasing, citing and documentation, how to create a Works Cited or References page, and where to find on-line resources. Email email@example.com for dates and times.
- Efficient Reading for Scholars — Learn "mapping" to increase your reading speed and comprehension. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for dates and times.
- Sounding American — Professional actors from many language backgrounds learn how to "sound American" and you can too. Learn strategies to lower the accent barrier and reduce the dreaded response, "Sorry, I don't understand." Email email@example.com for dates and times.
- Surviving Multiple Choice Tests — Success depends on understanding the logic used in constructing questions and on your knowledge of grammar, culture, idioms and synonyms. Get some surprising strategies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for dates and times.
- Grammar Clinic — Tired of teachers marking you down for grammar, spelling, punctuation, or sentence structure errors? Bring your problem to any of these workshops and get the solution! Email email@example.com for dates and times.
Last Modified: 09/01/2016