Sample Time Sheet Entries & Earnings Codes
Non-Classified Staff & 12-Month Faculty
(faculty earning and reporting vacation leave)
- Sample Time Sheet Entries
- Applicable Earnings Codes
Sample Time Sheet Entries
Examples assume a work schedule of full-time — 8 hours per day, 5 days a week.
Example: You have no exceptions to your normal time to report, and so you enter "No Exceptions." A single entry in the "No Exceptions" line applies to both weeks.
Note: Non-Classified Staff and 12-Month Faculty do not receive payment for overtime or accrue comp time, with the exception of comp time accrued for working on Columbus Day and Veterans Day. If you work extra hours, they are not reported.
Example: You were out sick on Tuesday of the first week and took vacation on Friday of the same week.
- Thursday (12/25) of week two of the pay period is a Holiday. You do not report anything under 12/25 because the system knows which days are holidays, and so no holiday hours entry is required.
- You do not work on Friday 12/26, and so you use Holiday Comp Time for that day.*
* This example is specific to the December 14-28, 2008 bi-weekly pay period. Non-Classified and 12-Month Faculty accrue straight-time comp time for working on Columbus Day and Veterans Day only. These accrued hours must be used on two of three of the comp time days identified on the ISU Holiday Schedule (the day after Thanksgiving, the day after Christmas, and the day after New Year's), or they will be lost. They cannot be used on any other days.
If you did not work the day after Thanksgiving, you used the first of your two comp time days. You will choose to take your second comp time day on either the day after Christmas or the day after New Year's. If you decide to take your second comp time day on the day after New Year's, you should enter 8 hours of vacation leave for the day after Christmas. If you do not have enough vacation hours accrued to cover those taken, the system will adjust your pay accordingly.
Warning: Work performed on Dec. 25 and/or 26 requires prior vice presidential approval.
- You have obtained vice presidential approval, and you work on Dec. 25. You do not report anything under 12/25 because the system knows which days are holidays, and so no holiday hours entry is required.
- You have obtained vice presidential approval, and you work on Dec. 26. Since the 26th is a regular work day, no hours are entered.
No Exceptions: This earning code is used only when there is no leave or overtime/comp time related hours of any type recorded during both weeks of the bi-weekly pay period. This is your certification that you have not used any leave during the pay period nor worked additional hours that need to be recorded. To use the code, select any one day in the pay period, enter one (1) hour, save, and then submit your time sheet.
Categories of Leave
- Sick Leave: Used when you are sick, at a medical appointment, or caring for an eligible family member who is ill. This code is also used for reporting time used for bereavement leave for a death in the family as defined in the Faculty/Staff handbook.
- Vacation Leave: Used for time off work for vacation, personal business, or funeral leave for non-qualifying family members. It can be used for sick leave purposes as well.
- Military Leave Taken: Used for time off for military leave as defined in the Faculty/Staff handbook.
- Jury Duty: Used for time serving as a juror. Court documentation is required.
- Leave Without Pay: Available on time sheet only during the pay period that includes the holiday closure in December. For all other times, an employee choosing to use leave without pay must submit a written request using a Personnel Requisition (PR), which can be obtained from your department office or from Human Resources.
Categories of Comp Time and Overtime
- Holiday Comp Time Used: Used to take comp time that was accrued on Columbus Day or Veterans Day. This code can only be used for the day after Thanksgiving, the day after Christmas, and the day after New Years. If you do not use your holiday comp time during these days, it will no longer be available for you.